If any of you have read the hunting regulations for Colorado I am sure that you may be overwhelmed with the choices and seasons available – Draw, over the counter, Elk only draw, Combo, Deer Draw etc….. I will try to explain how the tags work in my area. Hunting dates and license costs are listed at the bottom of the page.
Hunting Colorado is great because you can still buy over the counter tags!
Some notes first:
- Rifle Cow tags are not extras. You can hunt either a Bull or Cow not both.
- Drawing is in the first week of April, call me well before then if you intend to hunt a draw season. I will help you with the application either on-line or paper form. You can apply on line until the night before if you are booking late. Don’t Wait!
- Bear tags are available for most seasons. If you would like a tag in addition to your Elk or Deer let me know when you book your hunt. Bear tags are limited first come first serve. I will wait in line at the DOW and buy you one. We cannot bait in Colorado. This will be a spot and stalk hunt.
- If you hunt with an over the counter elk tag you can keep your preference points, and apply for another the year you hunt also. You do not loose your points using an over the counter tag.
Elk tags are over the counter either – sex. No cow only tags are available. Deer tags are by draw. Usually takes 1-2 points to draw. Buck tags only.
This is a popular season and therefore a little harder to draw.
- Bull Elk tags are by draw, unit specific. Usually takes 2-3 points.
- Cow Elk tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with no points.
- Mule Deer tags are by draw, unit specific. Usually takes 5-6 points.
- 1st Season Bull tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with no points.
- 1st Season Cow tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with no points.
- There is no 1st season for Mule Deer
- 2nd Season Bull tags are over the counter!
- 2nd Season Cow tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with no points.
- 2nd Season Mule Deer Buck tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with 2-3 points.
- 3rd Season Bull tags are over the counter!
- 3rd Season Cow tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with no points.
- 3rd Season Mule Deer Buck tags are by draw, unit specific. Can draw with 3-4 points.
There are sometimes leftover cow tags. Call if you are interested and I can check availability. These can be in addition to a Bull tag also.
Landowner Vouchers: These are special permits that allow you to buy a Buck tag without any points and without using any points that you have. The vouchers are not tags, your tag will be purchased separately. Call early if you are interested so I can arrange it with one of the local landowners.
If you have questions about any of these options please give me a call.
Eric / 970-249-8877
2016 Season Dates (Actual Hunting days):
- 1st week
- August 29th – September 2nd
- 2nd week
- September 5th – 9th
- 3rd week
- September 12th – 16th
- 4th week
- September 19th – 23rd
Archery hunts are Monday thru Friday to help with scheduling of vacation and maximizing drive days. We can be a little more flexible if necessary.
September 10th – 14th
- 1st Elk Only (draw)
- October 15th – 19th
- 2nd combo (over the counter elk)
- October 22nd – 26th
- 3rd combo (over the counter elk)
- November 5th – November 9th
2016 License Fees (estimated)
- Cow elk
- Black Bear
Please call us if you have any questions about season dates, scheduling, or licenses that are available.